Mount Olivet had its beginning in an old tool shack across the Appomattox River sometime in 1900 using potbelly, coal burning stoves and kerosene lamps. As years passed, old records indicate several location changes to accommodate the growth in membership. Since its start in the old tool shack, locations include High Street, Gill Street (now Farmer Street), Market Street, and Halifax Street. Mount Olivet's present location is 800 Augusta Avenue, a campus which spans 41 acres.
Under shepherds have included Rev. T.M. Bowman, Rev. A.B. Callis, Rev. Jones, Rev. E.E. Hicks, Rev. Dr. L.C. Johnson, Rev. C.R. Tarrance, Rev. Melvin D. Cutler, and presently Rev. Wesley Keith McLaughlin.
In March 1997, the pastor and the church family marched to the site of the new church for a ground breaking ceremony. On Saturday, July 18, 1998 the Mount Olivet Baptist Church family marched from the parking lot of Market and Halifax Streets to 800 Augusta Avenue. There were marchers, babies in strollers, limosines, and even a bicycle built for two in the procession.
Worship services began Sunday, July 19, 1998 with a Jubilee/Pre-dedication Service held Sunday, August 2, 1998. The enlargement of our territory brought enormous increase in attendance, meriting increase in officers, staff, associates, and the amenities associated.
Mount Olivet Baptist Church's sanctuary has a seating capacity of 2, 200 people, closed circuit televisions, large projection screens, state of the art kitchen, 150 seat choir loft with rehearsal suite, classrooms, offices, a conference room, and studio-ready media control booth to facilitate live worship enhancement, outreach, and broadcasting.